GHIMA 2017 Awards
Please support GHIMA by recognizing the outstanding contributions made by its members. Take a look at some of the previous GHIMA award recipients and learn more about the awards.
Please consider nominating a member or members who have demonstrated exceptional service in one of the following award categories:
- Clinical Site
- Distinguished Member
- Distinguished Service
- Established Professional
- Outstanding New Professional Award
- Professional Achievement
- Recent Graduate Award
Please support GHIMA by recognizing the outstanding contributions made by its members.
Individuals who have provided long term, enthusiastic support of GHIMA and its goals. This award is given to individuals, groups, or corporations who have worked tirelessly to support the HIM profession by advancing GHIMA’s leadership position. Nominees need not be GHIMA members. These individuals support GHIMA by providing at least one of the following:
- Providing significant financial support to GHIMA key initiatives through special programs, scholarships, or grants
- Providing significant volunteer support to GHIMA
- Serving the needs of GHIMA members through advocacy of patients rights and confidentiality, educating the public on health information, and/or supporting and promoting professional practice standards.
- Advancing legislative initiatives that promotes the interests of HIM.
To recognize and honor the commitment and expertise of those sites who demonstrate excellence in clinical supervision. Nominations should come from students and instructors of SACS programs. The nominated clinical site should:
- Provide a clinical site and supervision designed to help multiple students achieve competencies established by AHIMA.
- Support the training process for new professionals through advising, teaching and serving on panel presentations and/or advisory committees.
- Serve as a mentor to guide students to new opportunities and encourage enthusiasm for the profession.
GHIMA member(s) who have made outstanding contributions to the profession and/or professional associations. Nominee(s) may be cited for a) specific contributions that occurred either during the preceding association year or b) contributions that have been ongoing for several years. With these generous contributions, the individual(s) have:
- Brought recognition to the HIM profession or professional associations.
- Exemplified exceptional service to GHIMA.
- Contributed to the HIM profession’s body of knowledge.
GHIMA member(s) who have made a significant contribution through service to GHIMA by demonstrating one or more of the following:
- Completed a major project for GHIMA with outstanding results.
- Displayed innovation and creativity through service projects.
- Through exceptional leadership, served GHIMA in a particular role and achieved desired results.
Established Professional Award
The GHIMA Established Professional Award is awarded to GHIMA members to attend GHIMA or AHIMA sponsored educational programs in those instances when the member would not otherwise be able to attend due to financial limitations.
Criteria for this award include:
- Applicant must be an active and credentialed member of GHIMA
- Only members who have not previously received an Established Professional award to attend any AHIMA or GHIMA program are eligible to apply
- Award may be used for educational program registration fees, travel and lodging to attend the program.
- Qualified educational programs are AHIMA and GHIMA-sponsored programs including AHIMA Annual Meeting, GHIMA Annual Meeting, Seminars, and Workshops.
- The Established Professional Award Application must be received by GHIMA at least 30 days prior to the event the applicant wishes to attend.
GHIMA members(s) who have shared expertise and provided advice to students and colleagues over time. The award recognizes individuals who dedicate their time to others in the profession and take a personal interest in encouraging students or colleagues and friends to achieve success. Posthumous awards may be given. This individual(s) shows:
- A record of motivating talented people to enter the HIM profession
- Ongoing, long-term career guidance to one or more HIM professionals
- An interest in encouraging new professionals to become involved in GHIMA activities at the state and local level.
Outstanding New Professional Award
The GHIMA Outstanding New Professional Award recognizes an active member who was credentialed within the last five years and demonstrates significant potential for future innovation, creativity, and leadership ability. This nominee should:
- Show a desire to think out of the box – take risks and be proactive in leading others through these changes
- Demonstrate dedication to the HIM profession through active participation in local and/or state HIM activities
GHIMA member(s) who have made contemporary and/or innovative achievements in the HIM profession. Nominee(s) may be cited for a) activities that demonstrate professional and technical expertise during the preceding association year or b) contributions that have been ongoing for several years. The individual(s) have:
- Developed a procedure, product, theory or service which has significantly advanced HIM professional and technical expertise
- Been recognized by employers, peers, associations, or agencies and have been given awards, honored with distinction, or made outstanding achievements
- Shown leadership in education as demonstrated by making significant presentations at national, state, or regional meetings and/or seminars and conferences
Recent Graduate Award
The GHIMA New Graduate Award recognizes graduates from CAHIIM accredited health information management associate or baccalaureate programs in the state of Georgia by providing reimbursement for the RHIA or RHIT certification exam fees. The new graduate must sit for the exam within 6 months of graduation.
Criteria for this award include:
- Student must be a member of AHIMA/GHIMA
- Student must be in their last semester and eligible for graduation or have graduated within the last 6 months
- Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and in good academic standing
- Student must have shown commitment to the HIM profession by involvement in school activities and/or HIM association activities